Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Our First Week Home!

Jacob was born on Friday, February 8th, and we were home by Monday, February 11th. Before we left the hospital I was very nervous of going home. Not having the nurses there to answer our questions or help when I needed it was going to be an adjustment. At the same time I couldn't wait to get home and be there as a family of three! We left around 11:00 am and it was a short drive to our house.

When we got there Andrew helped get me settled in the living room, where we would be sleeping for a few days so I would be able to heal easier from my c-section. Andrew brought down everything we needed: diapers, the rock and play napper, pillows, burp cloths, wipes, etc. so I wouldn't have to go up and down stairs more than once or twice a day. Luckily we have a sleeper sofa, so we had a comfortable bed to sleep in for the time being.

Jacob was a perfect little guy during our first week home. He slept a lot, ate a lot, and slept some more! My mother in law was there with us to help with cooking and cleaning, so my attention was one hundred percent on Jacob. I cannot stress how awesome it was to have help. So if you have a person in your life willing to give you a hand, say yes!!

My mother in law cooked lots of good food for us and enough to stock up our freezer, so when she left I would be able to just thaw out a meal and heat it up! She made meatballs, lasagna, chicken marsala, beef stew, and home made chicken noodle soup. Needless to say we still have plenty of food in the freezer!

So everyone told me when I was pregnant what to do to survive having a newborn, getting no sleep, and recovering from surgery. Do this, don't do that. One piece of advice: Sleep when the baby sleeps. As a first time mom, but one with experience with newborns, that advice was worthless. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I worried for the first few days about if he was breathing in his sleep. I worried he would wake up and I wouldn't. I worried I would miss something. No matter how tired I was, if it wasn't night time, I was awake. That lasted about four days! I finally allowed myself a nap here and there. Best decision ever.

All and all it was a pretty easy week for us! We had a few bumps with nursing, but nothing an appointment with our lactation consultant couldn't help with! The week went by so quickly, as I sit here and write about it,  I can't help but wonder, where did the time go?!

~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment