Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Fur Babies Meet Baby Jacob!

For those who know me, know I am OBSESSED with my dogs. Before Jacob was born, every picture I posted on Facebook were of Gunner and Tank. I love them like no other. There is no love as loyal than a dog and his owner.

A little bit about my fur babies: Andrew and I bought our first home in 2009 and decided right away we HAD to have a puppy! Thanks to my brother and sister's love for Boxers, I knew that was the breed I wanted. Boxers are so sweet, loyal, protective, cuddly, and well, a bit hyper! So our search for a Boxer began and in no time we found Gunner. After getting him home we discovered he had been abused. He was very timid and terrified of men, with the exception of Andrew. He instantly became my little side kick. I wasn't working at the time, so my days were spent training and playing with Gunner.



After a year and a half we decided Gunner needed a buddy! Once again we began our search and decided on this precious little Boxer puppy, Tank. He was only five weeks old, the breeder sold him at four weeks old to a lady who ended up not being able to care for him. In my opinion it was way too early to be weened from his mommy, but we took him. He was pretty sick and had a calcium deficiency. His front paw was not growing properly and he couldn't walk on it very well. In just a few short months we nursed him back to health.





Now, two years later, the two are the best of friends. You can't keep them apart! Over the time we have had them, they have been very spoiled! Lots of attention from Andrew and me, sleeping in our bed at night, lots of cuddle time.



Once we got pregnant I became a little apprehensive about the transition of a baby in the house. I knew I wouldn't be able to give the dogs my full attention like I did in the past. I was worried they would be too hyper, too jealous, and not adjust well. I was in for a surprise!



As you can see, they were very interested in Jacob! Gentle sniffs and kisses right away. For the most part, they weren't that interested in Jacob, because mommy had been gone for four days, all they wanted was me! After a day or two any time Jacob cried, Tank would whine and Gunner was on watch. They were so aware of every little noise Jacob made. One night while we were cuddling in bed, Gunner was laying with us. Tank decided to join, but the second Tank got close to Jacob, Gunner let Tank know he was NOT okay with it. He let out a small growl and Tank got off the bed and fell asleep on the floor. I knew right away I had two very special dogs. In no time they were so protective of Jacob. 

Not all dogs are great with babies, some need an adjustment period, some get jealous. Only you can know which reaction your dog will have, but as hard as it for me to write this, dogs can't be trusted completely. I never leave Jacob alone with the dogs. We have baby gates in the living room and our bedroom. Eventually we will have another for the nursery. I feel so very lucky that our puppies are so well behaved, but you can never know what an animal is going to do. 

Hope you enjoyed!

~Sarah~


No comments:

Post a Comment