Friday, March 8, 2013

Let's Talk Breast Feeding!

Let me start by saying before I ever thought about having children the idea of breast feeding did not sit well with me! I just couldn't imagine having a baby attached to my breast all the time. To me, it was some what creepy. Yeah, I said it. I said over and over again I would not do it! Even when we decided to try to conceive, I was all about bottle feeding.

Once I saw those two lines on the home pregnancy test something clicked in my mind. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was almost instantly I changed my mind about breast feeding. I had to at least try I thought to myself. I wanted to experience it even if I couldn't handle it, I had to try, and not just sit back and judge something I knew absolutely nothing about.

Although I decided to try breast feeding, I went online and signed up for a few formula website to get free samples from them, just in case. I suggest anyone who is pregnant to sign up for it. Check out SimilacGerber, and Enfamil! Toward the end of your pregnancy you will receive free samples and coupons from them! Great way to save some money!

So during my pregnancy I felt like EVERYONE asked, "are you going to breast feed?" Um, as if it is any of your business! Okay, I never said that, I just smiled and said that is the plan! It seemed like everyone had an opinion on it. They gave me the pros and cons from their point of view. They gave me tips. How to prepare for the pain. How to hold to baby. What to do if you can't breast feed. Do this. Don't do that. Etc. Unsolicited advice started early! I did listen to the tips. I took in all the information I could get, because after all, they had been there done that. I hadn't.

So fast forward to the day Jacob was born. Once I was brought back in my room where I recovered, the nurse handed me Jacob and told me to feed him. I didn't have the slightest idea as to what I was doing. I just held him to my breast and hoped he opened his tiny mouth. Well it wasn't that simple! The nurse helped him latch by lightly touching his cheek that was closest to my breast and had me place my nipple in his mouth. It took a few tries, but all of a sudden he got it! And oh my! It HURT! It wasn't sharp pain, or even real pain, just total discomfort. I had no idea how I was going to continue.

When Jacob was born all I had to feed him was colostrum, because it takes a couple days for a mother's milk to come in. It was really hard to tell if he was actually eating or if he was just sucking for comfort, but the nurses taught me what to listen for and what to look for while he was eating. He made a tiny noise each time he swallowed, so I knew he was eating. During the days before my milk came in we had issues with latching. He never did latch completely normal. The nurse said it was due to the size of his mouth and my nipple. The improper latch caused sore and cracked nipples. Thankfully the lactation nurse gave me a triple action ointment to help them heal.

By day three I was still very sore, but I ignored it the best I could, because I was feeding my son and nothing else mattered. The day we left the hospital a lactation consultant came to our room to give us lots of information and make sure Jacob was still eating right. Although I was still in pain, he was latching correctly, and she told me that the pain would go away as the cracks healed.

Once we were home things continued to go smoothly with nursing Jacob. My milk came in that afternoon. I did have some discomfort from the milk, known as engorgement, but it always went away after nursing or pumping. I had been given a breast pump from a friend so I started pumping regularly. I felt like when he wasn't nursing I was pumping! It was tiring. We had gone home on a Monday and by Wednesday I knew something wasn't right. Every time Jacob went to nurse he would latch for about five seconds, and the back off and scream! I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong! It was heart breaking. I didn't know what else to do, so I started feeding him my pumped breast milk from a bottle. I can't tell you how many hours I cried about it.

By Friday morning, after countless hours of crying and an enormous amount of disappointment, I called the lactation consultant. After all those years of not wanting to breast feed, here I was heart broken because I thought I wouldn't be able to again. The consultant, Kim, was great! She told us to come in that afternoon.

During our appointment she had me nurse him so she could observe what was going on. It turned out that I was producing too much milk, so every time Jacob would latch he would get too much milk in his tiny mouth and get frightened by it, causing him to pull away and cry. The consultant told me that too much milk can be just as much of a problem as too little milk. So she had me try a nipple shield, a clear and flexible piece of plastic that went on my nipple. It created a slower flow for Jacob. She also had me hold him just above my breast so the milk didn't pour into his mouth, he would have to suck it out. Instantly, he began eating.

In that moment I cried tears of joy. I was once again feeding my son, the way I never thought I would want to! The consultant also told me to only pump once in the morning and once at night for 10 minutes. She said that would help lower the amount I was producing, because breast milk comes from supply and demand.

Well, three weeks after that appointment with the lactation consultant we are still breast feeding! I still use the nipple shield, which has been a life saver! It couldn't be going any better! The only down falls with the shield: It is clear! I can't tell you how many times I have put it down and for the next feeding I could not find it!! Try keeping it in a bag or container so you never have to search for it with a screaming hungry baby! Also, some feedings, Jacob will pull it off, so I have to get it back on, and that can cause a very unhappy baby for a minute!

Here are some items I couldn't live without:


1. Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags - Great for freezing milk too!
2. Ameda Storage Bottles - Refrigerating or Freezing milk! I love these because they are compatible with all Ameda pumps!
3. Lansinoh Nursing Pads - Warning! You breasts will leak milk. Save yourself from those embarrassing moments! Plus, these are so comfortable, I never notice them!
4. Medela Tender Care Hydrogel Pads - These helped me so much when my nipples were cracked. The cool gel pads eased the pain, and they are good for 24 hours!
5. Lansinoh Lanolin Cream - Great cream to keep your nipples from cracking, but if you do crack talk to your doctor!
6. Ameda Purely Yours - This is the pump I have. I love it! But remember, there are many options out there!

A few pointers:
  • Have an open mind.
  • Try to stay relaxed and stress free (haha, easier said than done with a newborn, but really, it will help)
  • Take full advantage of the resources out there, if I didn't, I wouldn't be nursing Jacob again
  • Stay hydrated! When nursing or pumping make sure you are drinking water!
  • If breast feeding isn't for you or you have difficulties, do not beat yourself up over it. Babies have been on formula for years and years and turn out just fine. Heck I was breast fed and formula fed and I think I am okay! ;)
  • No matter what you decide, remember, you are mom. You know what is best for you and your child!
  • Ignore judgmental people!
Also, for information on collecting and storing milk click HERE!

I hope you enjoyed this post! Look back soon for Our First Week Home!

~Sarah~


4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I love your blog. I'm sure you are an inspiration with new moms. Heck, you are even encouraging me with Skylar... I'm so proud of you for being so candid. Love you Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I used a shield with Asher until about three months and its so funny that you said you lost it bc I cant tell you how many times I forgot where I put it and was freaking out!! haha! I will tell you that you can break him of the shield with time which makes it easier. One day I just said lets see if you can latch without the shield and Bam! he latched on and ate! His latch wasnt the best but after about a week he mastered it. Breast feeding is such a great thing! I felt like the first 3 months were the hardest for me and now I feel like it is so much easier! I said in the beginning my goal was 6 months and now I think I can totally make it to a year! I feel like it will be harder on me to wean him then it will be for him! And I love that it is FREE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shields! Impossible to keep in one place all the time! Or when he is super fussy and I get him right about to latch and he pulls it off somehow! It is so funny you said that because I did that two weeks ago and we went a few days without the shield! I almost cried I was so happy, but he was still latching funny, so I ended up not being able to stand the discomfort, but I tried again after reading this and he has latched perfectly! I also said 6 months, but we have really had no problems aside from that first week and I think I might go a year too! Nothing is better than FREE! ;)

    ReplyDelete