Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Baby Registry

When I found out I was pregnant I was so excited to start a baby registry for my baby shower! Baby stuff is so cute and fun I couldn't wait to get started! Until I realized I had NO idea what babies really need. I mean I knew we needed a car seat, stroller, clothes, diapers... but what else? And then came the dilemma of what brand? How many? What sizes? I was so overwhelmed! After googling non stop and asking all my mommy friends I finally had a good sense of what I needed and wanted for the registry. I started registering for items immediately after finding out we were expecting, but I didn't finish registering for stuff until about two days before my shower!

The best check list I found was from Babies R Us. Check it out Here!

As for specific items here are a few of my favorites!


  • Crib - We got a convertible one, so it grows with him! It is a four-in-one that converts to a toddler bed, day bed, and a full bed.
  • Car seat - Graco Snugride 30. The safety reviews are amazing and it isn't too heavy!


  • Changing pad cover - I LOVE the Carter's Super Soft Dot Cover. Make sure you get some liners too, so if there is a mess, you just wash the liner, not the whole cover!
  • Burp Cloths - I swear by the Cloth Prefolded Diapers by Gerber. They are the best!
  • Breast Pump - If you plan to breast feed and pump I highly recommend the Medela Double Electric Pump, they are the best! However, if your budget doesn't allow for that check out Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric Pump. I used the Medela in the hospital, but couldn't afford to buy it. I have the Ameda at home and it works GREAT! Plus it doesn't cost as much. Also check with your locale hospital for information on pump rentals!
  • Bottles - For those who plan on breast feeding and occasionally bottle feeding I suggest the Tommie Tippie Closer to Nature bottles. Jacob goes easily from bottle to breast with no confusion!
  • Infant Bath Tub - We love Fisher Price 3 Stage Rainforest Tub. Jacob's favorite time is bath time!


I could list 1000 more items we love, but there is just not enough time in the day for that!

Some items I cannot live without at this point are:
  • Fisher Price Rock and Play Napper. HOWEVER, recently there was a recall on this item because of mold growth. The generation of the nappers being sold in stores now are said to have no issues, but I still check it regularly. The mold growth is said to occur between the washable liner and the frame, but we have had no issues. 
  • Wubbanub Pacifiers. The cutest pacifiers ever and Jacob loves holding on to them! It is a Soothie pacifier with a small stuffed animal attached. 

  • Thermal Blankets by Gerber. Jacob gets swaddled before naps and bedtime and these work much better than most "Swaddler Blankets" and cost much less!
  • Diaper Champ. Much like the Diaper Genie, but cost efficient. Instead of having to purchase specific bag refills, you can use any bag in the Diaper Champ and there is NO smell!
  • Tummy Time Mat. We have the Tiny Love Frog Tummy Mat and Jacob loves it! I love that it is padded and has a cushioning pillow, just in case he gets tired and face plants like most babies do!
  • Bottle Warmer. I am breast feeding him, but when Andrew is around I like to give him the chance, and me a break, to feed him. I pump and store my milk in the freezer or refrigerator and with the bottle warmer it is warm in two minutes!
A few things I didn't need to register for:

  • Boppy Pillow - Although I am breast feeding him, I almost NEVER use the boppy. I always just grab a regular pillow and use that. Much easier!
  • Clothes! Although I am sure there are so many cute items you HAVE to have for your child, people will buy you so many clothes whether you registered for them or not! So don't spend hours picking out clothes for the registry!
  • Wipe Warmer - Many people love these, but I just did not! First, if GOD FORBID you didn't have a warm wipe, and you used a "cold" one on the baby, be ready for screams! Second, it is said that bacteria can build up in them due to the moisture and warm temperature and cause mold. Yuck!
And last but not least, register for lots of diapers! I only received a few and was shocked! I thought everyone gave diapers at baby showers. If you don't know what brand you want, think about having a diaper raffle at your shower. If a guest brings a package of diapers they will get a gift or a ticket for a raffle prize! I wish I did that! 

Up next: Our first days home!
Thanks for reading.

~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment