Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Third Trimester

Well after feeling pretty great during the end of my second trimester I was certain that the third would be a breeze. Once again, I was in for a surprise!!

Andrew and I spent Thanksgiving in Massachusetts with my family. The night before Thanksgiving I started having severe pain in my right upper quadrant and some really nasty nausea. The pain was so bad I was in tears. After 24 hours of it I decided to go to the local hospital to get check out. Our baby boy was moving around and I had no concerns about his well being, but I was very nervous about mine. The emergency room doctor ran some tests, assured me the baby was fine, and they didn't know what was causing the pain. So I headed home.

After another week of the pain, nausea, and vomiting I decided to see my primary care doctor back in Maine. They ordered more tests and found that I was having issues with my gallbladder. At 29 weeks I was admitted to the hospital to have my gallbladder removed. Well, after a crazy emotional few days, the multiple doctors that were treating me decided surgery that far along in the pregnancy was too risky. So for the next ten weeks I continued with the pain, nausea, and vomiting. It was not fun!

At 32 weeks my monthly visits to the doctor increased to every two weeks. The doctor continued with checking my vitals, weighing me, checking the heart beat, and measuring my belly. I ended up with anemia during my pregnancy, so I was put on iron supplements and had to have another ultrasound to make sure baby boy was growing properly.

At 36 weeks my appointments increased to weekly. I went in for an ultrasound and to our surprise we found out that he was breech, meaning his head was not down, and we were faced with scheduling a cesarean section. I was so shocked. I always imagined going into labor naturally. Feeling contractions, having my water break, pushing my baby out. But, instead I was planning on having major surgery. I couldn't believe it.


Above: A great 3D shot I got during an ultrasound before the gallbladder surgery I never had! 


It took a few days for the news sink in. I was very sad about the c-section, but I came to terms with it and started planning! I didn't care what way our baby came into the world, just as long as he was safe and healthy. So on February 8, 2013 I was going to have a baby. Our parents made travel arrangements and Andrew submitted time off for ten days after the c-section.


Above: Left, 35 weeks 2 days. Right, 36 weeks, 3 days. What a difference!

Two days before the big day I had a final exam at my OB's office. I wasn't dilated or effaced. Everything was still scheduled as planned, until my doctor felt my belly to see where the baby was. Sure enough he had turned and was almost head down. I was so shocked. So we were given a choice. Continue with the c-section or let nature take it's course and see what happens. Since I wasn't dilated at 39 weeks and had almost no contractions in the past few weeks, I was scared I would end up having to be induced at 42 weeks and risk the chance of the baby turning again.

Andrew and I discussed the risks and options and decided to go with the c-section as planned. At first I was ashamed that I was choosing an elective c-section. Especially after being so upset about having to have one in the first place. As I sit here and type this there are only a very few people who know that I had an elective c-section.

The night before my surgery and the arrival of our little bundle, I rechecked all the bags, made lists, prepped and re-prepped and tried to get a good night sleep! It wasn't easy, but I managed to get some sleep and before I knew it the day was upon us!

Stay tuned for a post about my delivery! Check out some pointers for the third trimester below:


  • Eating may be more difficult at this point due to the growing baby! Try eating small meals or snacks throughout the day. You may feel full after a bite or two, but just keep snacks handy!
  • Keep pushing fluids! 
  • Pack your hospital bag.
  • Install car seat and take it to the local police of fire department to be inspected. 
  • Set up the nursery! The most fun I had during all my pregnancy was the nursery!
  • Tour your hospital's Maternity unit. 
  • Choose a pediatrician. 
Thanks for reading! 

~Sarah~





No comments:

Post a Comment